27 Jun Sea-Bird Electronics CTD System successfully deployed through S.A. Agulhas II moonpool
Sea-Bird Electronics CTD System successfully deployed through S.A. Agulhas II moonpool.
The Sea Technology Services custom designed and built moonpool CTD frame, was successfully used throughout S.A. Agulhas’s recent cruises to Antarctica, Tristan da Cuna and Gough Island.
The moonpool frame currently carries the following instrument array:
- Sea-Bird Electronics SBE-911plus V2 CTD system
- Sea-Bird Electronics SBE-32 carousel trigger unit
- WET Labs C-Star red and blue transmissometers
- WET Labs ECO-BB(RT)D, blue backscattering meter
- WET Labs ECO-FL-NTU(RT)D fluorometer and turbidity sensor
- Biospherical Instruments PAR sensor
- Teledyne Benthos seabed detection altimeter
- Ocean Test Equipment custom designed 20litre water sample bottles (x24)
The through-the-hull moonpool concept allows CTD casts to be undertaken in ice and sea conditions that would normally prohibit the deployment of a conventional over-the-side CTD system.
The Sea Technology Services moonpool CTD frame features:
- Compatibility with Sea-Bird Electronics CTD, carousel trigger and sample bottle backbones
- An all stainless steel construction
- A 6000m ocean depth rating
- A strengthened mechanical design to accept a moonpool docking head and under-hull protection