27 May Sea Technology Services enters into Strategic Alliance with Australian company, Blue Ocean Monitoring
Sea Technology Services (Pty) Ltd (“STS”) is very pleased to announce that it has entered into a Strategic Business Alliance Agreement (“Alliance”) with Blue Ocean Monitoring (“BOM”).
- The Alliance sets the foundation for an expansion of Blue Ocean’s ocean monitoring business into Africa
- Sea Technology Services provides regional experience, expertise in autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV’s) and supporting engineering services
- The objective of the Alliance is to become the leading ocean monitoring robotics service provider for survey companies and other companies in Africa.
Under the Alliance BOM will initially base one of its Slocum Gliders in Cape Town to be deployed on regional ocean monitoring programs, with STS providing associated marketing and engineering support services. Additional gliders are available. Clients will have access to BOM’s web based glider data visualisation platform.
Demand for ocean monitoring programs in the region is increasing due to more activity in the natural resources sector and the requirement for greater environmental accountability.
Locally, there has been rapid growth in the awareness that ocean robotic platforms can provide an additional tool to supplement and enhance existing and emerging ocean survey techniques, with the associated increase in presence resulting in the availability of cost-effective real-time high-volume data.
Derek Needham, Managing Director of STS said “The Alliance represents a great opportunity for both of our businesses. We are aware of multiple regional ocean monitoring programs for which we can now tender using the joint capabilities of the Alliance. More broadly speaking, we have set our sights on becoming the leading ocean monitoring business for survey and other companies in Africa. With the skills and expertise the Alliance has to offer I think that is an achievable goal.”
Simon Illingworth, BOM’s Managing Director commented “I would like to thank Derek and the entire team at STS for their efforts during this process. We are delighted to be working with such a high calibre group and have no doubt that their local knowledge and expertise will be a key part of the Alliance’s success. We look forward to strengthening this exciting new relationship and venture in the future.”
About Blue Ocean Monitoring
Perth based Blue Ocean Monitoring Pty. Ltd. specialises in the implementation & operation of remote ocean data collection systems for Oil & Gas and Environmental applications. It has a subsidiary in Singapore and is anticipating further global expansion. The glider is an ultra-efficient autonomous underwater vehicle that collects persistent ocean data at a fraction of the cost of vessel based sampling.
The modular architecture allows for sensor payload on the glider to be configured to address multiple applications simultaneously that include:
- Environmental water quality monitoring
- Produced formation water monitoring
- Oil spill response
- Acoustic gateway communication link
- Long-term real-time hydrocarbon leak detection
- Marine mammal mitigation
- Dredge plume monitoring
- Physical or biological oceanographic studies
- Baseline environmental data collection
- Real-time tagged animal detection